Writing in a journal is a wonderful way to lower anxiety and stress levels.
Identifying your problems and working through your feelings by expressing them on paper makes them much easier to deal with.
In this post, I’ll share 31 journal prompts for anxiety to help you get started.
Anxiety disorders are one of the most common mental disorders in the United States, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. They report that up to one-third of Americans will experience some form of anxiety disorder during their lifetime.
The good news is that there are therapies to combat anxiety and journaling is one of them.
Keeping your thoughts in your head and trying to sort them out can be quite complicated and they often end up spiraling from one thought to another. Journaling helps calm down your mind help you process what’s going on.
How do you get started?
Find a notebook or a journal, whatever you have around the house or go out and buy a journal that inspires you. It doesn’t have to be fancy.
Keep it somewhere you’ll see every day – your nightstand, on the living room table, in your purse. Take a few minutes (or longer) every day to write down your thoughts and feelings. Don’t overthink things, just let the words come out.
Don’t hesitate to set an alarm on your phone at a time where you’re not busy to remind yourself to write.
At first, this might seem weird to you. You might not know what to write or how to express yourself. Don’t worry, I got you covered!
31 journal prompts for anxiety
- What does a perfect day look like?
- What was the most challenging situation you had to face and how did you get through it?
- How are you feeling right now?
- What scares you the most and why?
- What are you worried about right now?
- List 5 people who love you for who you truly are
- What’s the last compliment you’ve received and how did you feel?
- What challenges did you face today?
- What triggers your anxiety and how can you minimize those triggers?
- Write 3 things that bring happiness and joy in your life
- On a scale of 1-10, what is your level of anxiety right now, and why?
- What are you grateful for today?
- What are you most afraid of and why?
- What activities help calm you down and how can you do them more often?
- What strategies have you used to cope with anxiety and how effective were they?
- What positive changes have you made in your life in the past year?
- What are your favorite songs that uplift your mood every time?
- What have you done today to practice self-care?
- Write about the last time you were really proud of yourself
- Write a letter of forgiveness to someone who has caused you pain.
- What makes you unique?
- What are your 5 best qualities?
- Think of one goal you want to accomplish in the next month and write down the steps you can take to reach it
- What values are important to you?
- What things can you let go of right now that are holding you back?
- Write down a positive affirmation and repeat it every day for a week
- Write about your happiest memory
- What can you forgive yourself for?
- Who inspires you and why?
- What do you need to include more of in your life?
- What self-limiting beliefs do you have and how can you let them go?
There you have it, 31 journal prompts for anxiety to help ease your mind and find a sense of peace.
Having an anxiety disorder can be challenging but there are ways to cope with it. Including journaling in your daily routine is an easy way to manage your anxiety levels and work through your emotions. So why not give it a try?
The more you practice journaling, the easier it gets. Soon, you won’t need journal prompts anymore but in the meantime, use these to help you on your journey!
I hope these journal prompts help ease your anxious mind! Let me know in the comments what prompts you have used and that have helped you!
Till next time,